Thursday, September 15, 2011

South Pacific: Season Premiere

*WARNING:  CONTAINS SPOILERS*

The first episode of Survivor 23 was not as good as I was hoping.  It almost seems like I've seen this once before...oh wait, we did last season.  I think they should have waited a few seasons before they went back to "Redemption Island."  Oh well.

There were so many things going on in this episode.  Some of which I already called, some things that I was surprised about, there were things that I was wrong about, I misjudged some people, and I nailed it with others.  I also had an idea in my initial strategy that someone actually did which could come back to bite them in the ass...I'll talk more about this later.  So, let's get to it.

The two tribes this season are Upolu (the blue tribe) and Savaii (the red tribe).

Upolu consists of:  Coach, Albert, Brandon, Christine, Edna, Mikayla, Rick, Sophie, and Stacey.
Savaii consists of:  Ozzy, Dawn, Elyse, Jim, John (Cochran), Keith, Mark, Semhar, and Whitney.

In my opinion, the Upolu tribe is more stacked.  I can definitely see them going into the merge with numbers, as long as they don't destroy the tribe from within.



 

Christine:   Okay, so is it really a good idea to jump out there at the very beginning and say that the veterans won't be sticking around for long?  Even if that is your plan, you can't open your mouth right away.  First of all, you can't give people a REASON to get rid of you.  She should have welcomed them with open arms.  She should have said something positive about Coach and Ozzy's arrival - - maybe something to the extent of how much the two players could teach the newbies?  This isn't real life - - you have to lie in order to get anywhere in this game.  Big rookie mistake!  Also, it was completely obvious that she was looking for the immunity idol on the first day.  This was MY initial plan. Maybe she shouldn't have been as obvious as she was.  She gave the tribe two reasons to get rid of her.  She will be one of the first people to go on the Upolu tribe.  Good riddance, no surprise there!

Edna:  I was really impressed with her. As aforementioned, as long as she doesn't try to be bossy and take on the leadership role, I said that I think she'll go far.  She didn't do either of those things.  Also, while every one else on the tribe was giving Coach the cold shoulder upon his arrival....she was the one to welcome him with open arms.  Such a smart move!  I think I would have done the same thing.  I would have known that people aren't going to get rid of Coach right away because of his physical prowess and his experience.  Her decision to make that early connection with him will undoubtedly get her far in this game!  However, she's not part of the five-person alliance that Coach is in, so it should be interesting to what happens.

Cochran:  I'm already sick of him.  It was your first day in the game and you want people to call you by your last name because that's what Jeff does to some of the all-time greats?  Are you serious?  He is completely worthless in the challenges.  He talked about how he is one of the biggest Survivor nerds ever.  Blah blah blah...like someone said, there is a point where you have to stop being a fan of the game and start playing the game.  I truly believe that he showed his hand way too early.  He may know a lot about the game, strategy wise, but do you really want to tell everybody that?  Absolutely not!  He gave the tribe two reasons to get rid of him.  He or Dawn will be one of the next to go home from the Savaii tribe.

Dawn:  In her video, she claimed that she was "tough."  She did not display this whatsoever.  She broke down on the second day of being there.  Have these people never been camping before?  Have they not done anything hard in their lives?  I truly don't get it.  The fact that you are too big of a wuss to be there for two days without crying makes me want you to go home.  You took this opportunity away from someone who would have enjoyed it and would have been able to endure it.  I hope you go home next.

Semhar:  It looked like Ozzy was going to save her for a minute.  He did not want her to go because he knew that he would be able to drag her along.  I wasn't sad to see her go.  She opened her mouth way too soon.  Not only did she basically give up in the challenge - - (that she volunteered to do!!)  but she caused drama back at camp.  Once again, you can't give people a reason to get rid of you.  Rookie mistake!  Good riddance.  You won't be on Redemption Island for very long.

First Day Alliance:  I was really surprised at the four other people that Coach decided to make a five-person alliance with on the first day.  You have Brandon, Sophie, Rick, and Albert.  Coach even admitted that he was never the best strategist.  I don't see this alliance lasting - - especially considering how Sophie can't trust Brandon.  She knows that he is hiding something.  It is only a matter of time before Brandon lets the cat out of the back (next episode).  I was very surprised with Rick's performance.  I do have to apologize for my inaccuracies.  He did amazing in the challenge.  Based on this alliance and his physical capabilities, he will be around for longer than I originally anticipated.  It will definitely be interesting to see how this alliance is going to fall apart.  I see it happening sooner than later.

Keith:  There isn't really much to say about him.  He did really well in the first challenge.  I hope that he can continue to keep his heart condition a secret because he is the only eye-candy on the island!  :)

Jim:  I think that he talks too much.  He said that he wanted to fly under the radar, but he's not doing that.  He needs to take a step back and remember his initial strategy.

Stacey:  She didn't get much air-time.  I hope this changes very soon.  I want to see what she's all about.  I just hope that she doesn't cause any drama because she has the potential to be a really good player.

As I already mentioned, due to the drama that Semhar caused and the fact that she gave up in the challenge, she was the first to be sent to Redemption Island.  I'm definitely looking forward to next week's episode.  I'm anxious to see how the alliance starts to crumble, what new alliances will form, and if Cochran can redeem himself.

Until next time.....

Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/the_timgilmore

No comments:

Post a Comment