Monday, September 24, 2012

Philippines: Season Premiere






     Before I get started, I just want to say that I was wrong about a few people in my pre-season cast assessment.  I underestimated a few castaways, but I also overestimated a few.  So, I do apologize if I was a little too harsh.  I will comment about each.  The only comments I do not take back are the ones directed toward Swan.  :)  Anyway, let's get started . . .

     Jeff Probst lets it be known that immunity idols will be in play this season.  I am ecstatic!  Hidden immunity idols allows for this game to be very unpredictable.  These idols put a different kind of twist on the game that has been seen in previous seasons, such as Heroes vs. Villains, Fans vs. Favorites, and even in Samoa.  I am excited to see if and how these idols change the course of this season.

     Jonathan Penner was actually on the Fans vs. Favorites season.  Even though he was ejected before the immunity idol game was in full-force, he knows how huge of an impact these things can be.  Penner immediately started looking for the hidden immunity idol.  Although he didn't find the idol, he found the clue hidden in the bag of rice.  In his frantic search, he completely blew off the rest of his tribe.  The five of them knew exactly what was going on.  They have seen how he has played the game before.  This tribe is the only tribe that absolutely wants to get rid of the veteran on their team.   Do I think it will happen?  Probably not.  I couldn't help but notice the thumbs up Penner gave the camera when Jeff Kent was working extremely hard at building the shelter.  Signs to come?  Who knows.  Dawson is someone who really impressed me.  She was the only one who knew who Jeff Kent actually was.  The thing that impressed me about her though was the fact that she said that she would use this information when she deems it to be valuable.  As soon as she said that, I was like "YESSS!!"  This girl knows how to play the game.  I'm very excited to see when and how this information is used.

      Speaking of Jeff Kent, I was not a fan of his prior to this episode, nor am I a fan now.  I believe that his knee will continue to give him problems through-out the game.  I am hoping that his tribe will see that he is a liability for their tribe and will eventually get rid of him.  In addition, I am not a fan of him outside of the game.  I am going to post a link below of an article that was emailed to me a few days ago.  It is actually about Jeff Kent and Lisa Whelchel and their anti-gay agenda.  Kent actually donated $15,000 in support of Proposition 8 in California a few years ago, while Lisa is a firm believer in reparative therapy (pray-away-the-gay) tactics.  I am not rooting for either one of these contestants this season.  Here is the link if you guys would like to read about it:  Survivor 25 Casts Anti-Gay Celebrities

     Considering Lisa was on an episode of "The Talk" the morning that the season premiered, I am not sure that she will be gone as quickly as we believe she will be.  Lisa almost seems too nice to be playing this game.  She wants to work hard around camp, and even commented that she knows that she wants to "develop a personal relationship" with each player (which is exactly how I would play the game, as well).  However, she was seen working alone throughout most of the episode.  Even at one point, the five others went off on their own and asked if she wanted to go with them, but she refused.  I couldn't help but think why would you want to just isolate yourself from the rest of the tribe?!  It's putting a target on your back from the very beginning. . . but like I mentioned, the fact that she was the only new castaway to be featured on "The Talk" says something - - as shitty as that is because after reading this article about her, I would love to see her out of the game.

     One of the people who I think I overestimated in this game is RC.  She immediately offered up that she is a "huge fan of the game."  She was the one who rounded up her alliance.  She talked to Abi, Skupin, and Pete individually to get their alliance together.  She even asked them if they wanted to have an alliance name.  I honestly do not see this thing lasting.  RC seems to be playing the game a little too hard at this point.  It would not surprise me if Abi actually notices that RC is the one calling the shots and eventually turns on her.  RC is undoubtedly the leader of this foursome, but let's see how far her leadership skills will take her.  I'm thinking not as far as I originally anticipated.   

     As soon as the Matsing tribe reached their camp, Swan took the leadership role despite the fact that he said that he wanted to pawn it off on some "young dummy" who doesn't know any different.  It is clear that some of his tribemates are annoyed by the fact that they don't really seem to be making decisions together.  Angie and Malcolm are very vocal about their disdain for their new "leader."  Malcolm and Swan work together to build a fire within the first 45 minutes of being at camp.  Malcolm made the right decision in allowing Swan to actually build the fire.  As Malcolm stated, he does not appear to be a target to Swan, since he's the one who didn't actually build the fire.  He isn't stepping on Swan's webbed feet.

       Swan rubbed his tribe the wrong way in the immunity challenge, as well.  The challenge consisted of three parts. First, two teammates would be tied together, would run through the jungle to retrieve two paddles.  As soon as the next two teammates received the paddles, they would have to paddle out into the ocean to retrieve a huge chest filled with puzzles pieces to give to the last two teammates would would construct a puzzle.  Swan did not allow for any kind of discussion concerning individual strengths and weaknesses.  As soon as Angie mentioned that she wanted to run instead of doing a puzzle, Swan interrupted her - - and stuck her with doing the puzzle anyway.  So far, Swan has not exhibited any of the characteristics that a good leader should possess.

      Swan has never been a very strategic player.  He did exactly what he said he did not want to do this time around  As aforementioned, Russell Swan's game-play in Samoa was a joke. as well.  After I posted my cast assessment a couple weeks ago, I actually received a hate message from Swan on Twitter. Our conversation is posted below:




15 Sep
Tim Gilmore Tim Gilmore@the_timgilmore
-- sorry if I hurt your feelings. I:m sure you're a nice enough guy. Good luck! :)

15 Sep
  Is not about my feelings. I'm losing patience with dudes like you talking shit. I'm done.

15 Sep
  -- so people who are right? Thanks for being a good representative for the show. :)


Needless to say, he never responded after my last Tweet.

     In my pre-season assessment, I really trashed Angie.  I didn't think she would be able to provide much to her tribe.  It seemed to me that she was only there to further her career.  I was absolutely wrong.  From the very beginning, she was campaigning to get rid of Swan.  She saw him as an immediate threat.   He was an easy target due to his lack of strategic game-play (as I already mentioned).  I honestly saw her being one of the first people out of this game, but now I can definitely see her going far.  I believe that I was right about Roxy on a few different levels, but the one thing that I did not really take into consideration is the fact that she does have military background.  She typically does have to follow a chain of command.  If some of the other people in her tribe use this to their advantage, I believe they will be able to use Roxy at pivotal points in this game.   I think Malcolm and Denise can be a very dangerous pair.  Malcolm knows how to play this game, and Denise is a therapist.  Because of this, Malcolm knew immediately that it would be a good idea to have Denise on his side.  If Angie, Malcolm, Roxy, and Denise stick together, they can do some damage in this game.  I think they are the smartest four-some of the season.  I would love to see the four of them stick together.  Only time will tell. . .

     Zane is a very interesting individual.  He was definitely the most interesting on this episode.  However, I truly believe that he thinks that he is smarter than what he actually is.  As soon as the tribe got to camp, Zane made an alliance with Denise, then Roxy, then Angie, and then Malcolm and Swan.  He even went as far to tell Malcolm and Swan that he had already made alliances with everyone else on the tribe.  His logic was that he would be able to get everyone to be his pawns.  This would have been able to work if he had not mentioned to Swan and Malcolm that he had previous alliances.  Huge mistake!  But honestly, logic was completely out the window with this guy.  After the Matsing tribe lost the immunity challenge, Zane was basically campaigning to be sent him.  He said that he was the weakest one in the challenge - - when in actuality, Denise and Malcolm were the ones who caused everyone to fall behind.  He also said that things will probably just get worse for him in this game.  As much as I cannot stand Swan, I know that his tribe made the right decision in voting Zane out.  He was the weakest link.  At this point in the game, the most important thing is to keep a strong tribe so you can have the numbers further on down the line.  However, unless Swan is able to find the hidden immunity idol, I think he will be the next to go on the tribe....especially if Angie has anything to do with it.  At least, I can hope that Swan goes home fairly soon. :)




Eliminated:  Zane Knight, the 28-year-old, Tire Repairman from Danville, Virgiina

Until next time. . .
     Let's see how many hate messages I can get on Twitter :).  Follow me @the_timgilmore

No comments:

Post a Comment